Thursday, March 5, 2009

Garde Manger Buffet Winter 2009




The class I enjoy teaching the most at my job is the Garde Manger class. This class involves cold food preparation, platter design, plate-presentation, smoked and cured foods, sausage making, and ice carving.

As the final practical exam the students are required to plan and execute a buffet for around seventy people. Each quarter the students choose a theme and as their midterm grade they submit recipes to me around that theme. I then compile the recipes into a workable menu. Tonight the event itself was held at Sinclair.

I have to admit that I was impressed with the spread these students put on as well as their food design capabilities and their dedication. This is no easy undertaking. The chosen theme was Mediterranean cuisine and they chose to do all hors d’oeuvres or small plates. Over the past three days I put I around forty hours and the students did the same.

The menu included: torchon of foie gras with sauternes gelee, blue point oysters on the half shell, braised Spanish oxtail with gremolata on toast points, fig and Serrano ham tartines, feta cheesecakes with red wine and date sauce, veal and roasted pepper turnovers, a HUGE antipasto platter, and Manchego chorizo fritters.

The pictures don’t do the food justice but I was proud of my students. This is why I have the best job in the world…this and two months off every summer!

1 comment: